Theft offenses involve the taking of someone else’s property without their permission. Theft crimes include everything from simple shoplifting to robbery, grand larceny, and fraud. The penalties for theft offenses range from community service and restitution all the way to serious felony charges and long prison terms, depending upon a number of factors. Whether you are a first-time offender charged with petty theft or are looking at more serious charges such as grand theft auto or armed robbery, Whiddon Criminal Defense is here to help.
The seasoned lawyers at Whiddon Criminal Defense have years of experience as both public defenders and private defense attorneys helping Louisiana defendants charged with theft crimes. We know just how much a criminal conviction can derail your life, and we’ll fight to make sure that you are not the victim of overly aggressive police or prosecutors. We’ll be in your corner, building your case and fighting for your rights to get the best possible outcome for your case.
Comprehensive Criminal Defense Services
The dedicated theft offense defense lawyer at Whiddon Criminal Defense is ready to stand by your side from the day you are arrested until your case is concluded. We offer comprehensive legal services, starting from the moment you are arrested or discover you are under investigation until we obtain the most favorable result we can achieve in your case.
Our full-service criminal defense law firm works with you from day one, handling every aspect of your case, including:
- Representing you at your arraignment and bail hearings
- Gathering witness statements, video surveillance, financial records, and other evidence relevant to your case
- Negotiating with prosecutors to reduce the charges and work toward a favorable plea
- Arguing for diversionary programs and other avenues besides conviction
- Protecting your rights against unjustified civil forfeiture and other pre-conviction penalties
- Presenting your case in court, including conducting discovery, motion practice, and arguing your case before the judge and jury
- Representing you at trial
- Taking your case through the appeals process
Defending Against All Types of Louisiana Theft Crimes
Louisiana’s criminal statutes penalize a wide range of theft-related conduct. Whiddon Criminal Defense represents clients charged with all manner of theft crimes in the State of Louisiana, from minor misdemeanors to serious felonies. If you’ve been charged with or arrested for any theft offense in Monroe, we’re ready to offer our advice and representation. We help clients charged with theft crimes, including but not limited to:
- Misdemeanor or felony theft
- Bank fraud
- Issuing bad checks
- Identity theft
- Computer fraud
- Grand theft auto
- And more
Penalties for Louisiana Theft Crimes
Several factors play into the possible penalties for theft crimes in Louisiana, including the nature of the property taken, the value of the property, the conduct of the defendant, and the nature of the alleged victim. For example, the punishments for theft include the following:
- Theft of property worth less than $1,000 can lead to a fine of up to $1,000 and up to six months in jail.
- Theft of property worth between $1,000 and $5,000 can lead to a fine of up to $5,000 and up to five years in prison.
- Theft of property worth between $5,000 and $25,000 can lead to a fine of up to $10,000 and up to ten years in prison.
- Theft of property worth more than $25,000 can lead to a fine of up to $50,000 and up to 20 years in prison.
If the defendant used a weapon or other violent means to commit the crime, the punishments are more severe. Other crimes, such as fraud and identity theft, carry their own penalty ranges. A knowledgeable Louisiana criminal defense lawyer can walk you through the possible charges and penalties in your case and help you seek reduced charges or get the case kicked entirely.
Call a Talented Theft Defense Lawyer at Whiddon Criminal Defense After a Monroe Theft Crime Arrest
If you’ve been arrested or charged with a theft crime in Monroe, it’s important to get the right legal team on your side as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the worse the outcome of your case is likely to be. Our theft offense legal team has years of experience helping defendants in Louisiana defend against theft crime charges. Call a theft crime attorney at the Monroe offices of Whiddon Criminal Defense to help you fight for your rights, your freedom, and your future. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.